Why has my veterinarian prescribed this medicine?
"This medication is a member of a unique class of drugs called Disease-Modifying Osteoarthritis Drugs."
Polysulfated glycosaminoglycan is used to control the signs associated with non-infectious degenerative and/or traumatic arthritis in dogs. This medication is a member of a unique class of drugs called Disease-Modifying Osteoarthritis Drugs (DMOAD).
How do I give this medication?
- This medication is administered as an intramuscular injection by your veterinarian.
- Generally, one injection is required every 3 to 5 days over a specific period of time, or for a number of doses.
What do I do if I miss giving a dose?
Contact your veterinarian to set up a dosing schedule.
How do I store this medicine?
- This medication should be stored in a cool place, at a temperature of 8 to 15° C.
- The manufacturer recommends discarding any unused portion.
- Keep this medicine out of reach of children.
- Do not store this medicine in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in damp places.
What are the potential side effects?
- Adverse reactions are unlikely when the intramuscular route is used. Possible side effects include pain at the injection site, vomiting, diarrhea, depression and abnormal bleeding.
- Other side effects may occur. If you notice anything unusual, contact your veterinarian.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
- Make sure to tell your veterinarian what other medication you are giving to your pet.
- Quite often, your veterinarian may prescribe two different medications, and sometimes a drug interaction may occur. In this case, your veterinarian may vary the dose and/or monitor your pet more closely.
- Your veterinarian will use this medication with caution if your pet is receiving non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), other steroids or anticoagulants.
- Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences any unusual reactions when different medications are given together.
This client information sheet is based on material written by:
© Copyright 2009 Lifelearn Inc. Used and/or modified with permission under license.